Thursday 7 April 2011

Film Noir

Film Noir was used to show the corruption and betrayal in the 1950’s after the war. Generally including a physiological thriller, mystery and private eye are the three main types of Film Noir that you will most commonly watch.

Lighting is very important in Film Noir, as there is more lighting used when portraying the women showing that they are good. Then uses either dark lighting on the male to show that they are bad/evil. Also large shadows are cast to denote something evil.

The Film will try to leave the audience unsettled and on edge. This is why the film classifies as a thriller because the elements that make the film are very similar also the fact that the point of the film is building up tension like a thriller.

Characteristics –
– Gangster
– Police
– Gothic
– Social Problems
– Urban Setting
– Open Roads
– Dramatic Light Expression
– Flash Backs
– Narrator
– Animation

Sin City is a good example of a recent Film Noir, is uses all the main codes and conventions of a Film Noir and one of a thriller. This is relevant to me as we will try to recreate a modern day Film Noir like Sin City.


I can use Film Noir as my thriller opening; I found this information out as it gives be a brief out line of Film Noir allowing me to consider it as a possibility. I think If I use the characteristic’s correctly I will be able to produce a good opening keeping the audience entertained but not giving the film away. Also we are able to get all the props needed to make a good all round Film Noir, furthermore we can use the school or surrounding roads as our urban environment. I personally like Film Noir as it is different and uses a variety of codes that are similar to the ones of a thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment